Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Winnipeg

If they didn’t show up soon another kid was going to be hurt. I told them to meet me downtown on the roof of the Bachman Plaza. It seemed like the superheroish thing to do, but this was all new to me. Nobody knew better than I that the road of learning was full of potholes. Although I knew mistakes would be made, never did I imagine that the first would be four young kids. This had to go off without a hitch; mistakes now will translate directly into human lives. No mistakes. I was starting to get cold.

Things started out great. Four days after the meeting the birthed the XTF-3 I got a call from Madeline. They had found the guy they were looking for. Chip Chapman was a Hell’s Angel enforcer who carried around an axe. The called him “The Chopper”.

It was the Chopper that threatened the Desmond family. He terrified the man so much he jumped out a window. They also believe Chapman murdered Cynthia Miles and Greg Reefman. Current intel put the biker in Winnipeg. I offered to fly us out there.

I guess I was eager to contribute. To be honest I’m not sure where my skills as a scientist can be used to stop a motorcycle gang, but I’m willing to give it a shot. Criminology is a science right? So I charted a plane and flew them out there myself, I listened to the briefing over the intercom.

Everyone was on board except Madeline who stayed at CSIS continuing the investigation. Gaston passed out a number of files covering the informants we would be pressing for information. Did he mean like interrogating? I wouldn’t even know where to start. Did they know that I set a bunch of lawyers to investigate Desmond’s suicide? My contribution was to read the weekly reports and to sign off on the cheques.

Yet there was something I could feel. We communicated mostly through emotion. When the idea of the XTF-3 was first presented, it became excited. And what was good for it, was usually good for me too. I owed the symbiote my life. Without it, the greatest mind in North America would have been frozen and drifting hundreds of thousands of kilometers from earth. Some may say that the planet owed it a great debt. So it was the least I could do.

Just before we landed Gaston got a call. It looks like Chip “The Chopper” Chapman is trying to make a statement. He has kidnapped four kids, Judge’s children. He was going to start hacking off pieces and leaving them around town unless the Judges turned themselves over for “biker justice”. We had less then four hours before he started.

Gaston took off to coordinate with local police. He told us that our orders were to capture Chapman before the police do. The biker has information that we need to complete our mission and it may be impossible to get if the police get to him first and he lawyers up. The Colonel would relay to us any leads the cops had and try to keep them off our backs at the same time.

That’s when we split up to hit up the leads. I got nothing. Na-da. Zip. Four hours past and all the news channels where showing a finger wrapped in today’s newspaper. It looked like it belonged to a child. Thirty minutes later Fletcher gave us a call on three-way to let us know what was going down. Fletcher must be a bit better at “interrogation” then I was. I got them to meet here at the Bachman Building.

Before I knew it Shanahan was standing behind me.

Maxwell Kane

“How the hell did you get there?! I didn’t see anyone approach the building.”

Pete Shanahan

“I ran. Fletcher’s coming/”

Jack Fletcher

“Did we have to meet on top of the building?”(panting)

Pete Shanahan

“I see it.”

Down the road a motor home flanked by six bikers is driving toward the PCs.

Jack Fletcher

“He’s got the kids in the motor home. He’s staying mobile so he’s hard to find.”

Maxwell Kane

“I can just fly down there and pick up the whole thing, fly it wherever.” They didn’t seem too surprised by that. Either they already know what I can do, which is no good because I know nothing about them, or they are so powerful that doesn’t impress them.

Pete Shanahan

“They’ll kill the kids.”

Maxwell Kane

“Oh, right”

Jack Fletcher

“We have to get in there quick before they know what’s happening. Kane, can you rip off the door?”

Maxwell Kane

“No problem.”

Pete Shanahan

“Guys we better decide quick, it’s almost here!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home