Monday, April 25, 2005

Introductions

Pete Shanahan had grown used to dealing with the strange and unnatural, those skills were serving him today. He had received government summons to come to this place; a high end dwelling in Toronto’s west side. They said they could help him with his investigation into Greg Reefman’s murder. Strange. For the last 25 minutes he and two others had been waiting for the last of the group to join them, no had had said a word. Unnatural.

The others were obviously with the government. The most striking of the three was a dark haired beauty in a smart but tight business suit. Her eyes were anything but business, more like those of a hawk appraising her surroundings. CSIS if he had to guess. There was no need to guess about the other two in uniform; military, special forces. The older one with the short white hair was a Lieutenant Colonel, the younger crew cut blonde, a junior grade lieutenant.

Then came my biggest surprise of the day, a national hero entered the room.

Maxwell Kane

“Sorry to keep you waiting but when the Chilean Ministry of Science needs answers on Gamatopoic Radiation, you’ve gotta take that call. So, how may I help you gentlemen?”

Gaston Gerrard

“Hopefully we can help each other. My name is Lt. Col. Gaston Gerrard and this is Lt. Jack Fletcher, we are from the Ministry of Defense, and this is Madeline Cruz from the Center for Strategic and International Studies. Are friend over hear is Pete Shanahan a private investigator. I’ll let Madeline take it from here.”

Madeline Cruz
“Thanks Gaston. Although we come from very different backgrounds we are all drawn together by a common thread: The Hell’s Angels. It has come to our attention that you two have been investigating them as well. We propose a sharing of information. Hopefully this will provide a breakthrough in the case.

Pete Shanahan

Cruz was very good. The way she carried herself, the way she spoke, she had the whole situation in control. Nothing was more dangerous then a sexy dame with brains. But there was more to this story. Madeline was the kind of woman who carefully chose what to say and when to say it. Unfortunately, I needed to work on my patience.

“You could have called us or met us individually to get this information. Why did you get us together?”

The look on her face gave me a small sense of satisfaction, I hope no one could see it.

Gaston Gerrard

“Too true, I had hoped to spend some time getting to know you two before hand…”

Maxwell Kane

“I already have enough friends Colonel, perhaps you should tell us everything.”

Gaston Gerrard

“Very direct, I like that. Let’s put our cards on the table. Anyone who’s watched the news lately knows the Hell’s Angels have been spreading across this country like a disease. It started with the Heroin Wars. We have learned that the Angels have procured a seemingly unending supply of Heroin. We are positive that they are not getting these shipments across monitored boarders or by plane or boat. Just the sheer amount they are moving precludes that.”

“They money they have been pulling down is far beyond anything we’ve seen in organized crime in this country, and that is leading to new problems. This money has bought them into corporate culture. They are laundering their drug money through legitimate business and projects. They had lent money out to Dr. Desmond and to Greg Reefman, when they couldn’t repay they became their latest victims.”

“Late last year Canada’s premier special forces unit, the JTF-2 under my command, was sent to apprehend a truckload of horse. I was running tactical for the unit. I can still hear their screams. Some how, we believe through superior weapon technology but we can’t be sure, the motorcycle gang wiped out the nations most highly trained soldiers.”

Pete Shanahan

The Colonel stopped here for effect. I knew what was coming and I wasn’t sure I liked it. These people knew a lot more about me then I imagined. Have they been watching me? For how long? Exactly what did they know? I was about to unleash a flurry of questions before Madeline cut back in. She was back in control.

Madeline Cruz

“The fact of the matter is that new technologies and the inclusion of Xenos on the international theatre have vastly changed the landscape. Conventional forces have little effect on an unconventional world. What this country needs is a new special forces unit for today. That’s where project XTF-3 comes into play.”

“The XTF-3 project will see Xeno’s and new technology working together as a cohesive unit as a force of national security. Xeno’s like our friend here Lt. Jack Fletcher and xeno’s like Dr. Maxwell Kane and Pete Shanahan.”

Pete Shanahan

Dr. Kane looked like someone stuck an ice cube up his butt. He was not comfortable with this at all. They must have been monitoring him for weeks. Cruz was careful to always put “Xeno” and “new technologies” together. Maybe they don’t…

Gaston Gerrard

“We would like to do this on a trial basis, at least until we put the people who were responsible for these crimes behind bars. At that point we will assess our effectiveness and if your willing we can discuss future options.”

Jack Fletcher

“They took away someone who was very close to me, someone who gave me a chance when no one else would. I’m going to make sure her killer pays.

Pete Shanahan

Wow, that was powerful. I wonder if Madeline told him to say it. Well its going to take more than a…

Maxwell Kane

“You can count me in. The Angels took a loving father away from two young girls. Also, I always love starting up new projects. This can be something else I’ll be an expert on!”

Pete Shanahan

Great now everyone is looking at me. Greg Reefman was a colleague but he was always getting into trouble. If it wasn’t the Hell’s Angels it would be someone else. The guy loved to play fast and loose with his life. Oh well, maybe it pays well.

“I’m in.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home