Friday, April 22, 2005

Two Murders and a Suicide

Night One

It all started months ago when Lt. Jack Fletcher was recruited into the Canadian Secret Service. They knew everything about him even his special abilities. They trained him to use his powers, and then trained him to be a spy. It was like someone opened his eyes, the true face of the world was revealed to him, and it was ugly.

The called it Operation: Delta. He started with phone taps and taking pictures. Then he started trailing politicians and getting into their business dealings. Three weeks in Jack completed his first assassination. All the while they assured him it was for the greater good, they told him he was saving lives. All that changed when he was contacted by Cynthia Miles, she said she worked for the government.

Cynthia showed him pictures of him taking pictures. She had a file on him 4 inches thick. Jack had no idea who his employers really were, they tricked him. Cynthia offered the Lt. one chance to avoid a life behind bars. Go back in and help the government take them down. Eager to repair the damage he had done, Jack accepted.

He never had a chance. Delta headquarters was cleared out. They must have found out he was compromised and closed up shop. Cynthia’s commanders were not happy, they were never really sure if the enemy figured out what was going on or if Fletcher warned them. They compromised; instead of sending him to prison they chained him to a desk. Lt. Jack Fletcher was finally serving his country, shuffling papers.

*

Dr. Maxwell Kane was lucky to be alive. No, really. He was one of the five brightest minds in North America chosen for the Blind Date Project. Their mission was to take a space shuttle to rendezvous with comet C/2005 X9 that was taking a once in a millennium trip through our solar system.

The mission was a disaster. Their ship was ripped apart by micro-meteors soon after reaching the comet. Kane was the sole survivor. A man of science, he had resigned himself to completing the mission, even if it meant his death.

Weeks later the shuttle returned, crash landing into the ocean. Miraculously Kane had survived! The media called him as a science hero. No one knew that the doctor did not do it alone. Something was in that comet, something alive. As his life support began to fail, the two joined, one sustaining the other for the long trip home.

The two shared a telepathic link, they communicated with each other in a language beyond words. After time they found that they could do new things together, extraordinary things. Savage things.

*

Pete Shanahan has always been different. He could run faster than normal people, he was tougher than normal people, and he could create almost anything he wanted out of thin air (as long as it wasn’t too big). These things were so natural for him he never really wondered why he could do these things. He was a perfect fit to become a paranormal investigator.

He had made many connections in the world of the strange and unexplained and over time had become an expert on these matters. Still it was strange when his good friend Greg Reefman came buy asking for money. Reefman was an avid collector of artifacts arcane and mysterious; he had a line on some Peruvian tablets but didn’t have the cash to get them into the country. All he needed was $200k. Pete had the cash, but Greg wasn’t that good a friend. He sent the collector on his way. Two weeks later, they fished him out of Hamilton harbor, the police called it murder.

*

A dark basement office. Jack Fletcher is sitting at a desk that is surrounded by piles of papers. Every few moments he highlights something. Out of the darkness a figure creeps up on our hero then tackles him.


Jack
“What the…?”

Cynthia

“Ha ha. Your dead soldier!”

Cynthia pins Jack.

Jack

“Very funny Ms. Miles. Get off of me.”

Cynthia

“Ms. Miles, not what you called me last night. I’m sorry, are you eager to get back to work? I suppose that means you’re not interested in getting out of here then?”

Jack

“Don’t play with me woman.”

Cynthia

“Pack your bag soldier, your going on a stake out. I pulled some strings and had you assigned to relieve me after my shift. You’re going to be watching a suspect that may have connections with organized crime. I’m getting you out of this basement.”

Jack

“You’re kidding. I can’t believe it. I’m actually getting field work? Cynthia, I…”

Cynthia

“Save it soldier. You can blubber over me later after you buy me dinner.”

Jack

That was the last time I saw her alive. I didn’t do a lick of work after she left, I was too excited to get out of there. I was to call her just before my shift started just in case the target moved and we had to meet in a different location. I called her early. We hardly started talking before something surprised her and the call was cut off. I went there as fast as I could.

Their car was thrown so hard it was stuck in a tree. The vehicle was totaled. I could see Cynthia’s face through the smashed windshield. It face was frozen into some kind of death mask of horror. The police came eventually, I answered some questions and they let me go home.

When I got back to my apartment I noticed the door was ajar. I entered cautiously. A man sat at my kitchen table, the shadows obscured his features.

Gaston Gerrard

“I’m sorry for your loss Lt. Fletcher.”

Jack Fletcher


“Who are you”?

Gaston Gerrard

“I’m the person who is not going to take it anymore. I’ve lost people as you have. I’ve done some research on you Lt. I believe that we can bring these people to justice by working together.”

Jack Fletcher

“Work in the field…”

Gaston stood so that I could see him in the light. He looked like he was in his early forties; his hair had already turned a silvery grey. Something about the man screamed “French”. As he went to leave he passed me a take-out coffee.

Gaston Gerrard

“This is for you, it got cold. I’ll be in touch Lt.”

And just like that he was gone.

*

The Rising Stars Gentleman’s Club is so exclusive scientists need to be published a minimum of ten times before they are allowed a membership. Dr. Maxwell Kane got in by his 23 birthday. Today at the club Dr. Kane is having lunch with his good friend Dr. Ted Desmond. Dr. Desmond has moved out of research years ago and became something of a business mogul. As usual the conversation quickly turned to how much money the businessman was going to make. This lunch was about to turn tragic however, it started when the cops showed up.

Two police officers approach Kane and Desmond’s table.

Dr. Desmond

“What can I do for you officers?”

Officer #1

“We would like you to come downtown with us Doctor; we have a few questions about your…investors”.

Dr. Kane

“Perhaps you should tell us what this is…”

Desmond throws over the table and runs away from the cops, which unfortunately is away from the exits. Panicking he grabs a steak knife and holds it against a random woman’s neck.

Dr. Kane

“Desmond! Calm down. Drop the knife we can talk about this!”

Dr. Desmond

“You don’t get it. They will kill me, my family. They are savages. I made a terrible mistake…”

By this time the police had their guns drawn and were trying to talk Desmond down. What happened next surprised everyone. Desmond threw the hostage at the cops, tucked in his shoulder and crashed through the eighth story window to his death. We stood there looking at the broken glass in silence.

Officer #2

“Dr. Kane after we clean up here, we would like you to come downtown with us for a few questions.”

Dr. Kane

“No problem officer. (Dials Cellphone) This is Maxwell Kane. I need a lawyer.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home